The 2020 Zero Waste Conference is just around the corner!
If you are still on the fence about attending, here are our top five reasons to join us for the virtual conference on November 13, 2020.
1. Hear the Solutions-focused Ocean Plastics Session
Solving a problem as pervasive as plastic pollution will take global collaboration across all sectors. This year, we bring together three influential leaders â€“ each with a unique perspective â€“ for a solutions-focused keynote conversation on what must be done solve the plastic issue within one generation, moderated by Chris Henderson, Chair of GLOBE Series & Executive Director of Indigenous Clean Energy.
- Horacio Barbeito, President and CEO of Walmart Canada
- Chelsea Rochman, Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto and Scientific Advisor to Ocean Conservancy
- The Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, Canadaâ€™s Minister of Environment and Climate Change.
2. Gain New Perspective on The Built Environment
Itâ€™s easy to take buildings for granted, but the structures we occupy every day actually have tremendous implications for climate change, waste management and the circular economy. Speakers in this session will identify new technologies, methods and materials that offer promising opportunities to vastly decrease the waste and greenhouse gas emissions generated from the built environment.
- Michael Green, Architect & Principal, MGA (Keynote)
- Eric Dunford, Director of Sustainability, Carbon Cure
- Amy Marks – Head of Industrialized Construction Strategy and Evangelism, Queen of Prefab, Autodesk
- Vivian Kuan, Executive Director, Terreform ONE
3. Acquire Insights into New Materials
Biofabrication is a revolutionary approach to production that incorporates the best of science, agriculture, design, 3D printing, brewing and even gardening. Simply put, it uses microscopic organisms such as mushrooms to â€œgrowâ€ everything from clothes to couches to buildings. We are pleased to feature two innovative companies that are pushing the boundaries of what is possible in manufacturing, and welcome Suzanne Lee, a true pioneer in the field, as a keynote speaker.
- Suzanne Lee, Fashion designer and Founder of Biofabricate (Keynote)
- Eben Bayer, Co-Founder and CEO of Ecovative
- Valerie Langer, Fiber Solutions Strategist, Canopy Planet
4. Get Inspired to Build Back Better
The COVID-19 pandemic has radically changed our world. Now, as we look toward recovery, our work is to forge a new, more resilient and equitable future. The circular economy holds great promise and this session will explore what Canadians must do to realize that potential.
- Tima Bansal, Ivey School of Business, Western University & Chair, Canadian Council of Academics Expert Panel on the Circular Economy
- Richard Florizone, President & CEO, International Institute for Sustainable Development
- Carol Anne Hilton, President & CEO, Indigenomics Institute
- Melissa Barbosa, Head of Sustainability, IKEA Canada
5. â€¦All from the Comfort of Your Own Home!
For the first time, this yearâ€™s conference is offered as a virtual experience. Take in the zero waste news and insights all from your home or office. Plus, youâ€™ll have exclusive access to the entire conference recording for 30 days after the conference.